The first Schoberkreuz was built on 18 August 1893 by Thalgauer Zinnoxidfabrikanten Nicolaus Gaertner.
The weather and lightning strikes added to the wooden cross. In the fifties of the last century, the board of the Alpine Club Mondsee decided on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the section to build a new cross on Schober. This was done in agreement with the Thalgauern, who were handed the old, damaged cross. In 2012 this was set up after a thorough renovation at Schwandbauern on Schoberstraße.
At Schobergipfel stands since 1954 the iron anniversary cross, for whose construction especially Karl Fornather, August Meindl and Florian Pariente began. It is a replica of the Dachsteinkreuz. In four parts it was carried to the summit with the help of many members, erected on June 12, 1954 and solemnly inaugurated on August 11, 1954. Since then it defies wind and weather and is widely visible as a sign of our faith.
In 1974, a private patron took over the costs for the hot-dip galvanizing of the cross, in 1984 it was repainted by August Meindl, at the same time a copper plaque was attached.1)
1) cf. Archive - ÖAV Mondsee