It can be read in old wooden shingles: "Johann and Johanna Radauer had the chapel built in 1865. As a carpenter Josef Eppenschwandtner of Mondsee 36, born in Tiefgraben, Parz 3 on March 11, 1831. Ca. every 30 years a new roof was necessary. In 1954, Michael Widlroither, carpenter in Tiefgraben 12, was commissioned to do so. "
This statement led to some questions. Johann Radauer was born on 15. 5. 1907 in Keuschen. His first wife was a born Pinwinkler. Johanna Radauer, b. Edtmaier of Tiefgraben 8, was his second wife, whom he married in 1948. She was a cousin of the first woman. The two can not have built the chapel. Probably they had a renovation carried out and enter this data later.
In 1980 the chapel was re-covered.
In 2013, the chapel was already so desolate that it was considered to remove it altogether. The handlbauer, Mr. Johann Radauer, could not accept this. Not only did he want to preserve the old chapel, it should also look the way it was when it was built here on the Wallfahrweg - and he was ready to do the renovation himself as much as possible. Indispensable helpers here were neighbor Alois Putz Sr., who took over the carpentry work and Maria Höllerer, who took care of the restoration of the paintings, pictures and the statue.
The elaborate work for the rounding of the building took Mr. Radauer despite well-intentioned advice for a simplification in purchasing. Wood from the former Gasthaus Schlössl was used for the new roof truss. what else was needed on wood, should only be taken from their own forest. Alois Putz stuck to it.
The vaulted wooden ceiling graces a painting depicting the coronation of Mary. Maria Höllerer managed to restore this work of art, so that it now forms the "heaven" of the chapel again. In painstaking detail work, she also managed to restore the images and the great statue of Christ.
Masonry and tiling work was done by Mr. Radauer himself.
Eventually, he set about installing a lighting that could be changed according to different liturgical times.
It is his endeavor that the Handlbauer chapel is again - as in earlier times - a place where pilgrims and hikers rest.
Florian statue above the house entrance - Handlbauer
The niche with the statue of St. Florian has been on the front door since the 50s. When repainting the house wall about 20 years ago this was of course taken into account.