As one of the last visible signs of the historical past of the Bad Wimsbach-Neydharting market, in Totenhölzl - about 1 km from the outskirts - are the remains of a Roman country house, once part of a large-scale settlement, built around 160 AD. The walls were exposed by Dr. Vetters 1951, after another looming decay, it was restored in 1997.
The Villa Rustica is a seven-room building, and the foundations of four rooms can still be seen today. The Romans have by no means foregone the well-known "living comfort", as evidenced by a kind of underfloor heating in which smoke was channeled through the entire house. A piece of a lead pipe was also found in a room that may have served as a kitchen. This in turn proves that at least one of the rooms was running water. Under no circumstances should this Roman country house be a single homestead, because in Urharting, a few meters above, the foundations of a much larger Roman estate could be located, but these were no longer uncovered.
Text: Kulturbegleiter and Kultur-Netz