We are poorly informed about the first church of Frankenmarkt. It was a poor church.
The original church, the old St Michael’s and later St Kilian’s church, was most likely extended and altered after 1384; possibly St Nicholas was already the patron saint by that time. The late Gothic church was probably constructed during the first years of Father Erasmus Kunigswiser’s tenure after he was appointed to Frankenmarkt in 1513. Today’s church owes its appearance to reconstruction work following the fire of 1759. Financial support came from Firmian Prince-Bishop of Passau, whose coat of arms with the “Passau Wolf” can be seen on the western side of the tower, newly rebuilt from 1767. The onion-shaped dome also dates from this time. In the interior, the late-Gothic ribbed vaulting was decorated and provided with ceiling paintings and stucco works in late Rococo style. Also worthy of mention is the projecting, theatre-style western gallery, which dates from the same time. Reconstruction work continued until around 1790. An extensive interior renovation was successfully completed in 2014. It included restoration of the famous murals in the choir, the walls, the altars and other fittings as well as remodelling of the sanctuary.
Sundays and public holidays: 9.45am,
Mon, Tues, Fri: 8am
Thurs, Sat: 7pm
Parish Church office opening times
Mon, Wed, Thurs: 8:30am – 12.00am
From Salzburg via motorway A1 – Exit St. Georgen im Attergau – right on the Attergaustraße (L540) to Frankenmarkt.
From Vienna/Linz via motorway A1 – Exit St. Georgen im Attergau – right on the Attergaustraße (L540) to Frankenmarkt.
From Bad Ischl – Weißenbachtal (B153) – follow B152 to Unterach and then B151 to Attersee than left to the Attergaustraße (L540) to Frankenmarkt.
From Salzburg or Linz/Vienna with „Austrian Federal Railways“ or „Westbahn“ to Attnang Puchheim - via regional train to Frankenmarkt
Arrival to Airport Salzburg or Linz – with the car/bus or train to Frankenmarkt.
Please get in touch for more information.