Galery Schloss Weyer
- All weather
The pretty Renaissance Castle Weyer in Gmunden with its arcaded courtyards holds in its historic walls is one of the most important Meissen porcelain collections in Europe - a World Heritage Site made of white gold!
The story of Castle Weyer
The Gut Weyer is first mentioned in 1446 as a fiefdom of the reign of Ort. The small castle is built by the then feudal Abraham von Rohrbach in 1596, who had previously acquired the farm estate "am Weyer" by Hektor Jagenreuter. Maximilian Hackelberger von Höhenberg and Arbesbach bought the outdoor seating in 1606 and had it managed from Mühlwang. The next owners were 1613 Gmund citizens Leopold Pötsch and his wife Margaretha, the latter sold the castle after the death of her husband to Sebastian Süß. The next buyer was Hans Chrauser. In 1621 the estate was owned by Forstmeister Hans Christoph Rottner. In 1624 Emperor Ferdinand II was able to regain the noble liberties that had been lost through the sale to the bourgeois owners. 1627 Rottner had to sell his property to the Bavarian Count Adam von Herberstorff, who donated the castle Hans Christian Schmitzberger († 1637) as a recompensation "because of his 20 years. faithful services ". After the demise of Hans Christian, who remained without descendants, the widow Weyer sold in 1651 to Dr. Ing. jur. Georg Scharl, Comes Palatinus. This already sold in 1653 the entire possession of Johann Adam Spindler von Hofegg to Waldbach († 1686). Spindler's daughter Beatrix was married to Christoph Benedikt Hayden of Dorff on Lindach and Weyer came after the death of her father. Hayden married Eleonora Hegenmüller von Dubenweiler after the death of his first wife (1707) (the coat of arms of both is attached above the sacristy door of the castle chapel). In 1722, the castle was sold to the Counts of Saalburg, 1723 to Josef Ortner, but bought back in 1724 by Carl Josef von Frey, son-in-law of Christoph Benedikt von Hayden. In 1738 a boys orphanage was set up here (hence the name "Woaslhaus" for Weyer), which was given to the Salzoberamt in 1755. The estate was struck Lindach. Between 1850 and 1870, Schloss Weyer was owned by John Armstrong, Esq. and his wife, Viktoria Josefa Mayr (von Melnhof), followed by a Knight of Cerny. Subsequently, the elementary school was housed in the castle, until it was acquired by the coppersmith August Hönig, son of the dialect poet Franz Hönig. From 1981, a fundamental renovation of the castle was initiated. The current owner is Mr. Kommerzialrat Otto Schober. The castle is currently used as a gallery for Meissen porcelain and silverware.
Admission charge: € 12.00 per person; reduce entry with the Salzkammergut Card € 9.50 per person
- Salzkammergut Sommer-Card
RED. RATE WITH CARD
Adults € 9,50
Children to age 14 free
- All weather
Please get in touch for more information.