INGREDIENTS FOR 4 APPETIZER PORTIONS
- 400 g very fresh, high-quality beef without sinew (tenderloin, top sirloin, topside as well as leaner cuts from blade, silverside or veal filet)
- 40-60 g sunflower, corn or olive oil (can be substituted with 4 very fresh, organic, raw egg yolks)
- 20-40 g finely diced shallots or onion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced capers
- 40 g gherkins or pickles
- 3 sardine filets and sardine paste
- 1 tablespoon finely diced parsley
- salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or tarragon mustard
- fresh onion rings
- cherry tomatoes
- basil leaves
- soft, waxy egg for each portion
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- pinch of sugar
- dash of Worcestershire and/or Tabasco sauce
- pinch of nutmeg or chili powder
- lemon juice
- dash of cognac or brandy
- 1-2 tablespoons ketchup
- For better tolerability, shortly blanch the shallots or onions in boiling water, shock with cold water and drain well.
- Finely chop pickles.
- Chop beef using a sharp knife. Then with a dicing knife or regular knife, finely dice beef.
- Place tartare in a pre-cooled bowl and mix with remaining ingredients. Ensure that the mass is well-mixed.
- Where applicable, mix in raw egg yolks.
- Season tartare according to taste using one or more of the seasonings listed.
- For best results, fill an oiled metal ring with tartare, place on serving plate and gently press. Remove ring. (Optionally, small, round cakes can be formed by hand)
- Garnish tartare as desired with onion rings, spices and/or herbs.
- When serving, provide additional garnish/seasonings so guests can additionally season to individual taste.
PREP TIME: approx. 20 minutes
SERVING RECOMMENDATION: crispy toast or savoury breadsticks