Pickled Rainbow Trout
- 2 very fresh rainbow trout filets, approx. 200 g each, carefully de-boned
- 10 g rock or sea salt
- 5 g sugar
- 40 g olive, canola, corn or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 3 peppercorns
- 2 juniper berries
- 1 branch of fresh oregano (can be substituted with dried)
FOR THE GARNISH
- Marinated green salad, dill mustard and cream horseradish
- For the MARINADE, crush salt with sugar, oil, diced dill, pepper, juniper berries and plucked oregano in a mortar and mix well.
- Line a large baking pan/form with cling film. Place fish filets in pan, skin sides down.
- Pour marinade over fish and rub in well.
- Cover pan with cling form and marinate, chilled, for at least 2 days.
- Remove fish from pan and cut on an angle into very thin slices using a sharp filet knife.
- Serve on a cooled plate with garnish of choice.
REST TIME: minimum of 2 days
PREP TIME: approx. 10 minutes (without 2-day rest time)
SERVING RECOMMENDATION: freshly toasted bread slices
SPECIAL TIP: Other types of fish, such as char, salmon or whitefish, can also be pickled according to this recipe.